Skip to main content

A SCOUT IS....to be celebrated!

New posting - after "all these years"...
Today it's all about preserving your son and/or sons' scouting history...OR your daughter's girl scouting history too.
Now you may wonder if it is all that important - well, I guess it all depends on how far into scouting the little tyke(s) go.  Say they go far...all the way to the top (which isn't unusual in the LDS Church), you may want to consider preserving in some way, all those hours you...I mean he has put into the program...JK, after all, they are the ones who went on those winter, snow-cave-where-they-almost-froze-to-death campouts...
I can only offer what I did with my three boy's scouting stuff, oh, and also my husband's stuff as well, since he was an Eagle Scout.
You will notice that there are no Boy Scout shirts framed as I did the Cub Scout shirts. That is because those are still likely to be current and needed in the boy's adult lives as they have opportunity to volunteer and/or work in the Boy Scouting program.  However, since they all have grown in size now that they are adults, I did transfer all of the patches and pins onto new, larger shirts (a great Christmas gift?)
However, I did decide to frame, in shadow-box frames their Cub Scout shirts.  What a fun reminder of all their adventures and accomplishments.



















For one son, I cross-stitched an eagle and also placed the rank pins for display. (The boys receive both patches that go on the shirt or sash, and pins that they don't really put on anything.)
Anyway, if you are a needle-crafter, there are many patterns available if you google for them.

















In addition to the shirt/frame displays.  I created a preserve in a binder (may also be scanned and saved digitally) that included the following possible items:
- Rank card protector pages
- Special awards (Duty to God, On My Honor)
- Merit badge workbooks/work sheets, handouts, notes
- Camping log - dates, places, number of days and nights
- Leadership positions - title, job description, duration
- Service activities - dates and details


Then, when the boys reached their Eagle Scout rank, a preserve was created that included the following possible items:
- All work sheets related to their Eagle project and rank work
- Copy of the Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook (after it has been completed) - copied not only for preservation, but also for proof of work, as this booklet is turned in to the Scout District as it sometimes can come up missing)
- Copy of completed Eagle Scout Rank Application (also for above reason)
- Pictures taken during the Eagle service project

- List of awards & honors received by your son - school, church, community, etc.
- List of scout leadership (again)
- Scout's goals and life's purpose and ambitions
- Copies of their rank cards (again)- Copy of letters of recommendations
- Copy of letter sent requesting congratulatory letters
- Letters of congratulations
- Copy of the press release prepared for the newspaper
- Newspaper clipping announcing your Eagle Scout's award
- Print out of the Court of Honor program, and ceremony
- Pictures taken during the Court of Honor
- Cards from guests attending the Court of Honor
- All the congratulatory paper work coming from National, Council, District Scout offices
- Copy of Eagle Scout card and certificate coming from National Boy Scouts of America







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PICTURE BOOKS PRESERVE I have had a lot of fun creating family picture books using the website ARTSCOW.COM (thanks to my daughterinlaw Season!) I know there are a lot of sites & stores that you can get your pictures put into a bound book format, however, I have found artscow.com very reasonable (when you take advantage of their often offered discounts &/or free shipping).  The quality is also the best. It has become, for me another method of preserving the tons of pictures that I acquire - I love capturing shots while Skyping with family, especially the g-kids! I always order 2 of the finished book, one for me and one for them. I feel strongly about preserving one's life in many forms, and as I feel like my children grew up with a strong sense of self and who they were, and where they fit in our family and in this life, I am convinced that this is a vehicle that provides that. Here is a sampling of a few books I've made at this website. Enjoy. http://www

One of the Best Ideas (Someone Else Gave Me)

YOUR CREATIONS PRESERVE This history is one of my VERY FAVES! It is a preservation of everything you've ever made. WHAT DO YOU MEAN? You query... Do you craft, sew, sculpt, paint, draw, build, photograph, needlework,decorate... DO YOU CREATE in any way, shape of form? I'll bet you do! Have you ever thought of documenting the items that you've created by photographing them? Do you have something to show for all the time, effort and talent that you've put into all those projects...all those many gifts you've made and given away all these years? What you've created is in part a history of you.  You are in each one of those creations and taking a quick picture of each item you create (even photography) and preserving it in a collection (either physically, or digitally) is a REALLY IMPORTANT THING TO DO! Here are samples of things I've created that I've recorded by photo. Seriously, looking through this history brings back so many memories about t

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - you are awesome!

Thinking once again that all my ideas for "alternate" family history preservation had been exhausted and not having anything more to share - I remembered something that I can't believe I forgot about.  I remember it being my daughter's idea (I don't know why I write as if someone is reading these postings, and the need to protect the identity of those I write about, but I do),  however, my daughter says that I gave her the idea...whatever the case, she is the one who created and perfected the idea, so I give her all the credit. The idea is a wonderful, fun collection of a family member's favorite things, creatively preserved each year as one of that person's birthday presents.  It gives such a great glimps into that person at their special time of year - and changes as the years change.  Hil would "interview" her brothers, asking them all sorts of very interesting and varied questions - then preserved their answers on a sheet to be placed in the