Skip to main content

KIDS SAY THE DARNEDEST THINGS!

I can't believe it!
ANOTHER idea - the fog must be lifting for a brief moment in time...quick, I'll take advantage of the clarity...
The PRESERVE that I share now is not uniquely mine.
I do not take credit for it.
Many people record and preserve the cute and amazing things that the little ones in their life say and/or do, so, all I'm doing is putting the bug in your brain to do just that.
When you hear or see something that just tickles your funny bone, or warms your heart said or done by a special little one in your life - TRY, TRY, TRY, to write it down and preserve it.

Anything and everything you do, to preserve and share with your loved ones as they grow, can only strengthen their sense of self and build their confidence as they see that what they do and say matters to you.
It is worth the effort.
Here are a few ideas I used that made this preservation possible
(nice illiteration)...
We will call this preservation:
"KIDDIE CUTES"
(as in cute things they say and/or do).
I bought a cheap little calendar book and kept it in a very accessable place, so that it would be easy to grab and quickly jot down what I just heard or saw.
I can't say that I was perfect at this preserve, but I did remember to use it sometimes, and those times that I did remember - I have recorded some priceless pearls that we have enjoyed reading over the years.
(Most are pearls from D & J, as I didn't think of doing this until E & H were older, but, most are when they were pretty young.)

Hey, I just thought that with today's technology, you can push the button on the cell phone and either record or video what they're saying or doing, if you think fast enough...

I now subject you to some of them.
See if you don't agree - out of the mouths of babes!
(of course these could only be "dear" to me, but the treasures you record will be just as special to you.)

(In no particular chronological order):

J and Dad play a form of Chess called "Move a Guy". You can move any piece anywhere when you say "Move a Guy!", but when you say "Hey!", you have to move the piece back where it was.

J came up to our bed in the middle of the night, plopped his blanket and himself right down between us on our bed and said "It dawk downdehs" (It's dark downstairs) - we still say that in dark places.

J must always clap his hands together, lace his fingers and stick his thumbs in his eyes for every prayer - oh, he also HAS to say every prayer too.

D has made up his own language - he calls it "Gluten" - it includes words like youstum ukuladium, galichagallom, ooslaughterpiggyfat, delishagus, mugdoogdun, snazzerundous, mamoshka, ozaboza, woebuhgeeguh, oozey-goozey, moleekomosomo, etc. It never ends.

J told E the correct way to cough when you're REALLY sick - E coughed and J said that a "real" cough consisted of two coughs, not just one long cough...

E will put a bite in his mouth and leave some dangling out and then ask "is there something in my teeth?"

D and J love to spy and they named their mission "operation runny-nose". The jingle to the operation goes: Dum-dum-dum - and then you snoosh or sniff your nose. (not too stealthy)

H says that she can't eat carrots because they hurt her back...(that was the best excuse I ever heard, so she didn't have to eat carrots).

D loves to sing "Mom yells at me so loudly"...(I didn't yell)

J and I were joking about the line in Ferris Bueller's Day Off - "They all like him because he's a Righteous Dude"...J then said E's a righteous dude because he is a deacon in the priesthood...

J and D were playing with their swords when J blew a little whistle - they decided to call it the "whistle of war".

J came crying into the house, he'd scraped his leg on his bike and told me that "a rock sneaked into his leg".

D said "Mom, when I was in the bathroom today, I realized how long my legs were."

J was singing "Little woman, walking down the road..." When I told him it was "Pretty woman, walking down the street" J said " I can't do that!"

D said his T-ball coach must have a problem because he never smiled.

E came up with a new business that he can aspire to: Jerks who sell junk at the dump.

D asked me "when you get a new freckle, does that mean you're getting bigger?"

J ran in the house and said that there was this grasshopper outside that REALLY wanted to live in our house real bad. I asked if he wanted a "bug jar" to put him in and he beamed and said "yeah".
When J doesn't want you to know about something he's doing - or you tell him something he doesn't want to hear he says "don't talk me!"
E on the other hand said "when you tell me something I don't want to hear, I have to fall on the floor".

J screamed for me to come downstairs, when I got there, he was looking into his toy bucket and let out a huge sigh and pulled out his toy tomahawk that was broken and said "Everything in my whole life is broken!" (so pitiful!)

D said that the man reading the water meter in our neighborhood was doing the "water meter dash".

J plays with his toy basketball hoop and says he can "swam-dunk it".

D likes to play in his wading pool and holler to me - "Mom, watch me! I can fwum!"

J was sitting at breakfast - not eating. When I asked him what was wrong he said, "My heart's not beating."

J made himself a pudding and sugar sandwich while I was in the shower this morning.

J sings "Row, row, row, your boat....life is down the drain".

D tells us his middle name is Glockenshpiel...

H says I haven't written many funny things that she says - well, her HUGE talent is in her faces. She has so many different faces, that I put a collection of as many as I could find together and call it "The Many Faces of H". Truly a talent! What a treasure! She also has my "talent" for nick-naming.

D came downstairs dressed for church and I told him that he looked pretty sharp. D told J he'd better not touch him because he was pretty sharp.

Dad asked D how his hat looked- D said "kinda dumb".

Start recording TODAY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PICTURE BOOKS PRESERVE I have had a lot of fun creating family picture books using the website ARTSCOW.COM (thanks to my daughterinlaw Season!) I know there are a lot of sites & stores that you can get your pictures put into a bound book format, however, I have found artscow.com very reasonable (when you take advantage of their often offered discounts &/or free shipping).  The quality is also the best. It has become, for me another method of preserving the tons of pictures that I acquire - I love capturing shots while Skyping with family, especially the g-kids! I always order 2 of the finished book, one for me and one for them. I feel strongly about preserving one's life in many forms, and as I feel like my children grew up with a strong sense of self and who they were, and where they fit in our family and in this life, I am convinced that this is a vehicle that provides that. Here is a sampling of a few books I've made at this website. Enjoy. http://www

One of the Best Ideas (Someone Else Gave Me)

YOUR CREATIONS PRESERVE This history is one of my VERY FAVES! It is a preservation of everything you've ever made. WHAT DO YOU MEAN? You query... Do you craft, sew, sculpt, paint, draw, build, photograph, needlework,decorate... DO YOU CREATE in any way, shape of form? I'll bet you do! Have you ever thought of documenting the items that you've created by photographing them? Do you have something to show for all the time, effort and talent that you've put into all those projects...all those many gifts you've made and given away all these years? What you've created is in part a history of you.  You are in each one of those creations and taking a quick picture of each item you create (even photography) and preserving it in a collection (either physically, or digitally) is a REALLY IMPORTANT THING TO DO! Here are samples of things I've created that I've recorded by photo. Seriously, looking through this history brings back so many memories about t