Skip to main content

IT'S A FAMILY THING - HERITAGE

Wow!
How did I think I was all done with my PRESERVATION ideas when I didn't even present one of the most important PERSERVES of all?

The ANCESTOR preserve...

I was raised to pay careful attention to those who've "gone before" me.
Both my parents preserved many items from their lives, as well as inheriting their parent's preserves upon their passing.
For some reason, dabbling in genealogy, collecting (mostly by reproduction) pictures of my ancestors, recording their stories, visiting those that were still alive, etc. has always been very important to me.
I must have understood what it meant to come from all these people, and it intrigued me. 
The preservation of "all things ancestral" became my BIGGEST hobby.
I wonder if some of my passion for this type of thing came from having my Great-Grandmother (my mom's grandmother) live with us from the time I was 9 years old, until I was 21.   She was a wealth of childhood stories for us.  She was one of our all time favorite people.


We also had an aunt come live with us for about 15 years. The same time she came to live with us, her parents (my dad's folks) both moved into a nearby nursing home where I got a job taking care of my grandmother much of the time she was there.


I think having a lot of family around and also having a cousin who was a professional genealogist who taught me a lot about genealogy, made relationship PRESERVATION become very important to me.
I've spent a lot of time thinking about my ancestors and savoring the little bits of information we have about them.

So, aside from the genealogy preserves that I'm always working on, ie: names, dates, family information... I took the items, pictures, certificates, obituaries, etc from my ancestors as far back as I could find pictures and made an ANCESTOR PRESERVE with a section dedicated to each person.  I have pictures and information back as far as a third great-grandfather...PRICELESS!

So, even though this is getting a bit "wordy" I am still going to list items that you might consider searching for and gathering up, from whomever in your family might have these items and creating your own ANCESTOR PRESERVE.
(warning: some items may be specific to members of the LDS faith).

- Pictures! (the more details the better)
- Pedigree charts listing the ancestor first and going back as far as possible.
- Family charts, listing the ancestor first as a child in their parent's family, then as an adult and/or a parent in their own family.
- Recordings of their voices - during an interview, or during candid story telling...
- Copy of their birth certificate
- Copies of their ordinance certificates (if they were LDS): blessing, baptism, confirmation, priesthood ordinations, sealing
- Priesthood Lineage - Line of Authority (if male and LDS)
- Copy of Patriarchal Blessing
- Maps of their birth place - a picture of their childhood home?
- Picture(s) of their family (as a child), (as a parent)
- Copies of their writings - poetry, stories, journals, life story, talks/speeches,memoirs...
- Their Profession/business/career information, resume's, business card, pictures
- Schooling: elementary, high school, college, university, degrees received, copies of diplomas, licenses, awards..
- Military service: records, information, pictures

- News clippings, articles that they were in or wrote

- Awards (misc) received
- Sports played: pictures
- Community service they participated in
- Their Wedding: courtship information, pictures,

decoration details, honeymoon destination
- Samples of their handwriting
- Mementoes they kept and/or passed down
- Anniversary celebrations: pictures
- Obituary, newspaper
- Copy of death certificate
- Funeral/Memorial service: program, pictures
- Grave site / Headstone: pictures

- Thoughts and well-wishes from those who knew person
- Your own memories recorded and written about the ancestor included with their preserve.
- Anything else you can think of

If you end up with items that were belongings of ancestors that are now heirlooms, or just keep-sakes, consider tagging each item and writing a short description about the item, making and itemization list so as to keep the "story" of the item available for years, and generations to come.  (Refer to the post: "It's a Treasure Box for more details).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PICTURE BOOKS PRESERVE I have had a lot of fun creating family picture books using the website ARTSCOW.COM (thanks to my daughterinlaw Season!) I know there are a lot of sites & stores that you can get your pictures put into a bound book format, however, I have found artscow.com very reasonable (when you take advantage of their often offered discounts &/or free shipping).  The quality is also the best. It has become, for me another method of preserving the tons of pictures that I acquire - I love capturing shots while Skyping with family, especially the g-kids! I always order 2 of the finished book, one for me and one for them. I feel strongly about preserving one's life in many forms, and as I feel like my children grew up with a strong sense of self and who they were, and where they fit in our family and in this life, I am convinced that this is a vehicle that provides that. Here is a sampling of a few books I've made at this website. Enjoy. http://www

One of the Best Ideas (Someone Else Gave Me)

YOUR CREATIONS PRESERVE This history is one of my VERY FAVES! It is a preservation of everything you've ever made. WHAT DO YOU MEAN? You query... Do you craft, sew, sculpt, paint, draw, build, photograph, needlework,decorate... DO YOU CREATE in any way, shape of form? I'll bet you do! Have you ever thought of documenting the items that you've created by photographing them? Do you have something to show for all the time, effort and talent that you've put into all those projects...all those many gifts you've made and given away all these years? What you've created is in part a history of you.  You are in each one of those creations and taking a quick picture of each item you create (even photography) and preserving it in a collection (either physically, or digitally) is a REALLY IMPORTANT THING TO DO! Here are samples of things I've created that I've recorded by photo. Seriously, looking through this history brings back so many memories about t

KIDS SAY THE DARNEDEST THINGS!

I can't believe it! ANOTHER idea - the fog must be lifting for a brief moment in time...quick, I'll take advantage of the clarity... The PRESERVE that I share now is not uniquely mine. I do not take credit for it. Many people record and preserve the cute and amazing things that the little ones in their life say and/or do, so, all I'm doing is putting the bug in your brain to do just that. When you hear or see something that just tickles your funny bone, or warms your heart said or done by a special little one in your life - TRY, TRY, TRY, to write it down and preserve it. Anything and everything you do, to preserve and share with your loved ones as they grow, can only strengthen their sense of self and build their confidence as they see that what they do and say matters to you. It is worth the effort. Here are a few ideas I used that made this preservation possible (nice illiteration)... We will call this preservation: "KIDDIE CUTES" (as in cute things they say a